Income Tax Department

The Income Tax Department is responsible for receiving and processing all local tax payments for residents living and/or working in Chillicothe. We also receive Employers Witholding tax from businesses that employ one or more persons on a salary, wage, commission, or other compensation basis. We are responsible for maintaining tax accounts, data entry or tax return, posting and breakdown of payments, preparing and balancing daily deposits of monies received, and the processing of delinquent billings and reconciliation of accounts. We produce a variety of financial reports as requested by different departments.

We strive to maintain a courteous and professional relationship with the public and are available for questions Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM.


Tax Facts

  • Your mailing address does not always reflect the taxing jurisdiction in which you live. Our office and the Ross County Auditor's office are available to answer these questions.

  • Interest, dividends, unemployment, pension income, retirement, welfare payments, military, and social security benefits are not subject to city tax.

  • Gambling and lottery winnings over $1,000 are considered taxable income for residents.

  • If working and paying taxes in another municipality, the taxayer shall receive a credit up to 50% ( or 0.8%) of the the amount owed to Chillicothe.

  • Distributions to retirement, 401k, and deffered compensation are taxed at the local level at the time of earning.

  • Earnings and income of all persons under 16 years of age are exempt.


Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I pay property taxes?

The Ross County Treasurer's Office collects payment for property taxes. If you have questions about your property taxes please contact:

Ross County Treasurer's Office
Phone: 740.702.3080
Fax: 740.722.6748

Where do I get yard sale permits and how much are they?

The City of Chillicothe Auditor's office provides yard sale permits for $5.00 if it is your first or yard sale. If it is not your first or second yard sale you must pay $20.00 for a permit.

How many yard sales can I have per year and how many days can it last?

You can have a maximum of four yard sales per year on a single parcel. The yard sale cannot exceed a consecutive three day period.

Where do I get local tax information?

To get contact information for the Income Tax Department please click here.

Where do I go to pay or start utilities?

The City of Chillicothe Utilities and Water Department will assist you with your utility needs.

Where do I go to pay traffic tickets?

The Municipal Court takes care of traffic ticket, fine, or civil complaints please contact:

Ross County Municipal Court
Phone: 740.773.3515
Fax: 740.774.1101

Where do I obtain business permits?

To get contact information regarding business permits click here.

Where do I obtain a vendor's license?

Ross County Auditor's Office
Phone: 740.702.3080
Fax: 740.772.6748

Where do I report nuisances?

The Safety and Services Department handles nuisance reports.

Where do I return job applications?

Applications can be returned to the Human Resources Office.

Where can I send donations?

Donations can be send to the City of Chillicothe Auditor's Office.

© 2013 City of Chilicothe | 35 South Paint Street | Chillicothe, OH 45601

Planning & Zone Code | Back to top



Green Man ImageryWebsite created by Green Man Imagery.

Powered by