Safety Service Department

Recycling Information

Recycling Calendar

Recycling Map


Residential Parking Space Permit

Residents must go to the Service Department (35 South Paint Street), show proof of address and driver's license or vehicle registration to obtain a parking permit. Permits are free of charge and enforced for one calendar year. Only one permit is allowed per household.


Trash Pick Up Services

  • All trash should be at the curb or alley by 6:00 a.m. Refuse may not be placed out for pickup prior to 24 hours before collection.
  • Waste materials shall be placed in non-disposable metal and/or plastic refuse containers with a tight fitting lid and handles, or in plastic bags. Containers may not exceed 40-gallon capacity or weigh more than 40 pounds or they will not be picked up. Plastic bags must be at least 1.5 mills thick and securely tied. No container or bundle will exceed four feet in length.
  • Refuse bags must be placed loosely in 45 gallon containers or less for easy removal. Trash in containers more than 45 gallons must be in garbage bags.
  • Containers holding water or ice will not be emptied.
  • The city will not be responsible for containers, especially plastic garbage cans in freezing weather.
  • Paper bags are not to be used as containers for waste materials. Cardboard boxes must be broken down, split and tied in a bundle weighing not more than forty (40) pounds and not more than four feet in length.
  • The following items will not be collected: hot ashes or burning embers, rocks, concrete or large stones, construction and/or demolition materials, tires, motor oil, flammable liquids and paint, poisonous or explosive substances, batteries or hazardous waste materials. The city cannot pick up appliances due to transfer station restrictions.
  • Special days for collecting or dropping off bulk or large items such as furniture, carpet, etc. will be established each year as funding, equipment, and staffing resources allow. Information regarding this will be announced in the local media.
  • Leaves are picked up during the annual Fall Leaf Collection Program. Do not mix brush, branches or other yard waste with the leaves.
  • Medical waste including needles and syringes must be placed in a hard plastic container with a cap. Special containers are available at the hospital or local pharmacies. All wound dressings, pads and other medical waste should be disposed of properly in a protective plastic bag.
  • Broken glass, light bulbs and other sharp objects shall not be disposed of without first securely wrapping them in heavy paper, cloth or other suitable protective covering.
  • Christmas Trees are picked up through a special collection in January. The trees should be placed curbside and all decorations and stands removed. The dates will be announced in the local media.
  • If collectors place a red sticker on a container it means the container should not be used and will not be returned to the resident the next week
  • Containers and refuse must be placed at the curb of the street or alley. Collectors cannot enter private property to pick up items.
  • A capful of ammonia or bleach in plastic bags will deter animals from breaking into and scattering trash.

For additional information or answers to questions about collection and regulations call (740) 773-2700, Monday-Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm.


Yardwaste, Brush, Leaves, and Christmas Trees

The City's Yard Waste Drop-Off Site at 415 Renick Avenue is closed until further notice.


Snow and Ice Removal

In the event of snow/ice, crews will begin working on major highways first. Secondary streets will be cleared after major thoroughfares are attended to.

Click here for the Snow Emergency Plan

All over town crews are hard at work cleaning out storm sewers and drains before the rainstorms that are due.


Large Item Drop Off

You may take large items to Rumpke located at 990 Eastern Avenue. Their telephone number is 773-1440; please call them concerning fees and hours of operation. If you do not have a means to transport items, you may contact an independent large-item trash hauler. Telephone numbers may be found in the classified section of the newspaper, or through the Service Department at 773-2700.


Dead Animal Removal

Report animals that are in the street to the Service Department for pickup.Dead deer should be placed at the curb before calling the Service Department for pickup.

Street Light Out?

Street lights throughout the city of Chillicothe are powered by AEP, and the city is responsible for paying the bill. Street lights that are out or malfunctioning are still asssessed a fee of approximately $10.00 per month for their usage.

If the street light is out, it cannot serve its purpose and invites criminal activity or unsafe driving conditions.

Please take the time to report a problem streetlight. Via the internet just go to and in the middle of the home page there is a box to report problems.

AEP would really like to have the pole number off of the pole, but the street adddress closest to the pole will also work.

If you do not have internet access, you can report the problem light to your Council representative and they will turn it in.


Frequently Asked Questions

Does the city collect trash on holidays?

Trash will be picked up on weekdays, including ALL HOLIDAYS.

Where do I take my yard waste, brush, and leaves?

The Safety Services Department no longer collects yard waste or brush. You may take your yard waste, brush, and leaves to the City Yard Waste Drop-Off Site on Renick Avenue. There is no cost associated with this drop-off site.

Where do I take large items for Spring Cleaning Pick-Up?

Citizens may take large items to Rumpke. Please call ahead for hours of operation and fees.


Does the city collect recycling?

The Safety Services Department does not collect recycling. You may bring your recycling items to the following Rumpke bin locations:

All Materials (glass, paper, aluminum, cardboard, paperboard, steel cans, #1 & #2 plastic bottles)

Camp Sherman Park, Frankfort Wastewater Plant, Huntington Schools, Kmart Super Center, Page Road, Wal-Mart, Bainbridge Old Elementry School, and Kingston Village Express

Paper Only

AAA, Bishop Flaget, Sherman Park, Central Center, Chillicothe Correctional Institute, Chillicothe Gazette, Chillicothe High School, Main Street Fire Station, Glatfelter, Goodwill Industries, Hopeton Village, both Kroger locations, Mary Lou Patton Park, Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources-Forestry, Ross County Service Center, Sam's Club, Scioto Township Hall, Southern Hills Academy, Unioto High School, Chillicothe Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Yoctangee Park, Diamond One, and Zane Trace schools.


© 2013 City of Chilicothe | 35 South Paint Street | Chillicothe, OH 45601

Planning & Zone Code | Back to top


Powered by